Well, another year has dawned and another batch of sermons are ready to go! We are working our way through the NIV Chronological Study Bible, though some of us are reading it in NASB, some in NLT, and others are just doing what they can do.
Morning Sermon: Yes, YOU ARE! Genesis 4:
Yes You Are: Genesis 4
Am I my brother's keeper?
Yes you are:
1. Original Sin, the sin nature, all of this is atoned for. So is all of our sin--but notice that Romans 5 Jesus is the second Adam, who stands in for humanity and suffers in our place, obeys in our place
2. It falls to us to, by the grace given us, begin to undo the temporal/daily effects of sin--like Cain's sin against Abel, which can be summarized in his abandoning his brother, not keeping or caring for him.
3. We have a responsibility to keep and care: first for our family of faith, then for our neighbors, then for the world at-large. Why is it tiered? Because you don't have enough, we don't have enough, in our checkbooks to solve everybody everywhere's issues.
4. It is the responsibility of the church to care, especially for their own, not the responsibility or the right of anyone to compel your compassion with force.
5. Sometimes, it will cost us everything--
Let us consider how we do this by looking at how a group of wise men provided for the needs of the Second Adam. When we look in Matthew 2, we see that the Magi brought to Jesus three gifts--
Gold: gifts of financial aid, provision of opportunity to work, defense of economic freedom
Frankincense: support in suffering, grief, emotional provision, compassion
Myrrh: sacrifice, inherent passion, total commitment
Evening Sermon: Introducing Job
1. I do have the rough audio of Sunday Night’s Q&A session, but I’m not sure yet that it’s useful for posting.
2. I am not sure how to improve video quality with the current equipment.
3. If you want to subscribe, here’s a list:
A. iTunes for audio subscription link is here.
B. General Audio RSS feed for other programs is here.
C. If you’re a Stitcher User, the link is here
D. For Vimeo Video, subscribe to this channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/almyrafbc
E. For Youtube Video, subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/user/dheagle93/
4. Yes, I think I’m not getting a lot of plays on each service or hits on each blog, but in total it’s a decent reach. A social media expert might suggest changes, but this is free-to-cheap, where I have to live right now.