(Or you could copy and paste this into iTunes or another Podcast software and get these things automatically: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DougHibbardPodcast
but that’s up to you.)
Sunday morning we were in 1 John 2:7-11. Here’s the outline:
1. New commandment/Old Commandment:
Not a new set of laws or legalistic followings
Yet still a command
Not a novelty or unheard of thought,
But one that echoes from the Beginning
2. The Light is shining
God's people follow it.
God's people follow it together.
God's people follow it together in harmony.
God's people follow it together in harmony without hatred.
The closing challenge was this: write down the names of 3 people:
1. A person in your own household
2. A person in church that you don’t know/are not super-relational with.
3. A person that is not in church anywhere: either never has been or used-to-be way back when…
Once you have those three names, here’s what to do with the names:
Every time you eat this week, pray for those three people. Pray that: 1. God would work in their lives. Nothing more specific is necessary: you don’t have to detail what you think God should do. You probably shouldn’t do that anyway. 2. That God will show you how to show love to that person this week.
That’s it. Every time you eat. Meals, snacks, every time. Pray for these folks.
And when God answers part #2: do it. Don’t pray for God to provide an answer and then ignore Him. That’s not a good plan.
Evening sermon was 1 John 2:12-14. Here’s the outline:
1. Little Children: those who are fresh to the kingdom
2. Fathers: Those who have long been in the kingdom as well as carrying other wisdom
3. Young men: those in the middle.
1. All know the Father. All have been forgiven---for the sake of the name of Christ.
2. Young men: have the Word, have strength, and have overcome the evil one
A. understand "overcome the evil one" as making the first strides towards maturity
B. The first target is derailing new or undiscipled believers
3. Fathers: wisdom. From both time in serving the Lord God and from life.
Closing challenge: find people to grow with. People that you can help grow, and seek out those who can help you grow. And do it.