Morning Sermon: Humiliation or Destruction? Daniel 4 & 5
Humiliation or Destruction? Daniel 4 and 5 from Doug Hibbard on Vimeo.
September 7 Daniel 4-5
|September 7 AM||Daniel 4 & 5||Almyra Baptist||Humiliated or Destroyed?||The question for us is this: will we be humiliated or destroyed?|
I. (3 minutes) Front Porch: Today, we compare two kings who opposed God--and decide which king will be our example.
A. We don't do kings in America--we all consider ourselves king of our own life
B. We are going to look at Daniel 4 and 5 to consider a pair of kings, choosing which one will be our example to follow
C. The question for us is this: will we be humiliated or destroyed?
II. (3 minutes) Entryway: We have choices to make:
A. Most importantly: will we follow God's way?
B. Typically, though, we face a crisis before we make that decision.
III. (2-3 minutes) Hallway: Babylon
A. Daniel--although Ch. 4 is 1st person report from King of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar
B. Ch. 5 occurs as the Medo-Persian Empire eliminates the Babylonian Empire (October 12, 539 BC)
IV. (3-5 minutes, only if necessary) Sitting Room: extended look at background
A. Archaic name of "Belshazzar"
B. Father/son=predecessor/successor in kingship matters: note Romans in 1st-3rd Century, Jordanians in 20th (HRH Abdullah I to HRH Hussein)
C. Chapter 4: 570 BC (ish) Ch. 5: October 12, 539 BC (per Herodotus and Xenophon)
V. (5-7 minutes) Kitchen: God brings discipline into the lives of people
A. God sends warnings about discipline
B. God has foreknowledge of our responses
C. We retain responsibility for our actions
D. God demonstrates both justice and mercy
VI. (7-9 Minutes) Dining Room (personal growth)/Living Room (immediate life application)
A. How this nourishes us as believers: There is grace on the other side of discipline
1. Listen to the Word: notice the warning to Nebby K and what Belshazzar should have known
2. Do not crave the validation of the world
B. How we live it out in our families, lives, jobs, etc...
1. Keep the Praise where it belongs: unto the LORD!
2. Work well and do well, as unto Jesus: Colossians 3:23
3. Pass on useful information: note the work of the Queen Mother
VII. (3-5 Minutes) The Door: wide world impact
A. Be Daniel: we do not want the world's rewards, we want to be faithful
B. Be repentant: better to be Nebby K than to be Belshazzar
C. Be open: proclaim and stand forward
VIII. (1 minute) The Back Porch: repeat the point
A. Take humility
B. Avoid Destruction
C. Eschew Worldly Rewards and pursue the truth
1. I do have the rough audio of Sunday Night’s Q&A session, but I’m not sure yet that it’s useful for posting.
2. I am not sure how to improve video quality with the current equipment.
3. If you want to subscribe, here’s a list:
A. iTunes for audio subscription link is here.
B. General Audio RSS feed for other programs is here.
C. If you’re a Stitcher User, the link is here
D. For Vimeo Video, subscribe to this channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/almyrafbc
E. For Youtube Video, subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/user/dheagle93/
4. Yes, I think I’m not getting a lot of plays on each service or hits on each blog, but in total it’s a decent reach. A social media expert might suggest changes, but this is free-to-cheap, where I have to live right now.
5. Each blog has a “Follow” button and a “Subscribe via Email” option
6. Follow on Facebook: Doug’s Page or the First Baptist Almyra Page
Post a Comment
To deal with SPAM comments, all comments are moderated. I'm typically willing to post contrary views...but I also only check the list once a day, so if you posted within the last 24 hours, I may not be to it yet.