June 26 Sermons
Morning Sermon Outline:
Cain and Abel: Baptist Brethren in Worship
1. Brought to the LORD: Worship must have a proper focus.
2. Brought together: they are sacrificing together: you see this because Cain knows Abel's sacrifice was accepted
3. Brought to reality: Hebrews 11:4 tells us that Abel is there with faith. The point? Abel's sacrifice is not better because of what it was but because of the heart of the sacrificer.
4. Brought to decision: Cain is not left to figure out what he should do or if he should do rather it is shown him
5. Brought to accountability: Cain returns before the Lord and is asked "Where is your brother?"
6. Brought to exposure: Like Isaiah in Isaiah 6, the presence of the Lord brings knowledge of sinfulness
7. Brought to grace: Cain is granted grace by God. He is given the opportunity to live and know God's grace
And so for us:
1. Brought to the Lord: what is our focus in worship? in church services? In our lives? Remember that worship is not just this hour and tonight, but tomorrow morning at 7:19 when your battery is dead and you can't get to work.
Moreover, if the Lord is our focus we worship as He expects, not as we desire.
2. Brought together: Still trying to live life alone? Without each other we fall apart.
3. Brought to reality: Where is your heart this morning? Is it full of the grace of God? Faith in Christ? Without faith, you're in the building but you're not in worship. It is necessary that you come believing first that He exists, but second that through Christ He accepts you.
4. Brought to decision: When we look at our own hearts, what do we do? Do we come in faith or get angry, bitter?
5. Brought to accountability: Part of worship is self-examination: how have you been toward your family this week? Your faith family? We come and find accountability both to one another and for one another.
6. Brought to exposure: while church is not always a place of beat-downs, we should also catch that glimpse, that exposure of our own sinfulness in the face of a holy God. Why? so that we can be....
7. Brought to grace: All the times we have lacked faith, been sinful, been careless God has grace for you. Not merely a grace that banishes, but grace that embraces. Grace that has paid already for your needs.