"If pro and con are opposites, what does that say about progress and Congress?"
Today, the new Congress gathers. For the last 2 years, the ruling party of Democrats have claimed the Republicans have blocked them from doing what they wanted. The Republicans have claimed the Democrats have done what they wanted, and that's why they're now in charge, to fix the mess. To both of them, here's what I have to say:
1. Shut up and get to work. Both of you spend so much time attacking each other that you can't possibly be also listening to the people you're supposed to represent. You know, the citizens? That whole "For the people" concept?
2. Alongside that: cut out the "procedural vote" method of hiding what you voted for. Seriously. Bring the actual bills to the floor and vote on them, rather than killing them through votes that aren't actual votes. Do something to produce an actual record.
3. We have 10% unemployment, and something like an additional 15% under-employed. Taking more money from the people that have jobs will not help the unemployed.
4. Neither will allowing companies to book giant profits and tax breaks for moving more jobs overseas.
5. Free trade is great, except when it allows companies to destroy people's lives and the environment by manufacturing in non-regulated environments.
6. Part of the marriage debate centers over the idea that there are some 1500 or more federal benefits to being 'married' over being in a 'civil union' or whatever. If the government is capable of handing out 1500 benefits to married people, the government is doing too much. Seriously. I don't know where those benefits are, but that's insane. The ability to file 1 tax return that combines her deduction and mine is 1 that makes sense, and survivor benefits for Social Security makes sense, but what else are you doing?
7. You can't keep spending more than you take in. You probably can't take in any more than you are now without paralyzing the economy. You think you can't spend less without paralyzing the economy. Something's got to give.
8. We know that you all ran for your jobs claiming certain ideals. We also know that you probably won't keep half of your promises. We are watching you.
9. Especially to my Republican friends: I've said this before "treat as you would be treated, not as you were treated." You've complained about a lack of respect, a lack of compromise, a lack of work with. Revenge is for later. Play a football game or something for that revenge. Be what you wish the other side had been.
10. You are all supposed to be there for the good of the country. Guess what? The country expects it from you. Leave the regional battling, the my area first bickering, and what-not for college football. Congress does not exist to help 1 state or 1 of 435 districts. The Fed exists to help 50 states, all 435 districts.
Now, get to work.