This is a great set of questions to ask yourself as you set goals for this year! And here's a challenge: Answer these in a comment for me, I'd like to know what you think!
Ten Questions for the New Year
Ten Questions to Ask at the Start of a New Year or On Your Birthday
Once, when the people of God had become careless in their relationship with Him, the Lord rebuked them through the prophet Haggai. "Consider your ways!" (Haggai 1:5) he declared, urging them to reflect on some of the things happening to them, and to evaluate their slipshod spirituality in light of what God had told them.
Even those most faithful to God occasionally need to pause and think about the direction of their lives. It's so easy to bump along from one busy week to another without ever stopping to ponder where we're going and where we should be going.
The beginning of a new year is an ideal time to stop, look up, and get our bearings. To that end, here are some questions to ask prayerfully in the presence of God.
1. What's one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
2. What's the most humanly impossible thing you will ask God to do this year?
3. What's the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your family life this year?
4. In which spiritual discipline do you most want to make progress this year, and what will you do about it?
5. What is the single biggest time-waster in your life, and what will you do about it this year?
6. What is the most helpful new way you could strengthen your church?
7. For whose salvation will you pray most fervently this year?
8. What's the most important way you will, by God's grace, try to make this year different from last year?
9. What one thing could you do to improve your prayer life this year?
10. What single thing that you plan to do this year will matter most in ten years? In eternity?
Copyright © 2003 Donald S. Whitney.
All the information contained on the Center for Biblical Spirituality
website is copyrighted by Donald S. Whitney. Permission granted to copy
this material in its complete text only for not-for-profit use (sharing
with a friend, church, school, Bible study, etc.) and including all
copyright information. No portion of this website may be sold,
distributed, published, edited, altered, changed, broadcast, or
commercially exploited without the prior written permission from Donald